Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Basic German Phrases for your holidays!

A lot of Austrians are speaking and understand English not too bad. But it is always very appreciated if you know some words. 

Here are some basic sentences and phrases which could be useful:



HelloHallo
GoodbyeAuf Wiedersehen/ Tschüss (informal)
PleaseBitte
Thank youDanke
YesJa
NoNein
Excuse me/sorryEntschuldigung
My name is...Ich heisse..
What is your name?Wie heissen Sie?
Nice to meet youSchön Sie kennenzulernen
Where do you come from?Woher kommen Sie?
I come from AmericaIch komme aus Amerika
How are you?Wie geht es Ihnen?
Where is...?Wo ist…?
I would like (2 bottles of water) Ich möchte (zwei Flaschen Wasser)
How much is that?Wieviel kostet das?
How do I get to...?Wie komme ich zum (m/n)/zur(f)…?
I don’t understandIch vestehe nicht
I’m sorry, I don’t speak GermanEs tut mir leid, ich spreche kein Deutsch
Do you speak English?Sprechen Sie Englisch?

Of course it is not that easy to pronounce it, so I looked up some videos which shows you a few basic words and their proper pronounciation. 






 

So let's get it started and learn some German today :)

2 comments:

  1. Great idea I already learned some basic German words :-) the video helps with the pronunciation, great blog btw I wanna go to Austria sometimes.
    greetings from Iowa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! You definatley should visit it soon!

    ReplyDelete